Why Study ELICOS In Australia
- Fulfil the language requirement and open opportunities for further education in universities in English-speaking countries.
- Improve your English proficiency with an internationally recognized qualification whose curriculum is regulated and quality is ensured.
- Enjoy the flexibility in your education – you can study and explore Australia at the same time with flexible durations that can last from one week to 52 weeks depending on the type of ELICOS course required.
- You have the flexibility to work and study in Australia with the ELICOS Visa (Subclass 570).
Choosing your ELICOS Provider
Here are some key things to look out for in choosing providers and institutions for your ELICOS provider.
Research on reviews and teaching staff can give a good insight into the course curriculum in addition to course descriptions. Institutes that provide ELICOS courses must be registered with the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students), you can double-check for your institution’s registration.
Whether it’s the urban cosmopolitanism of Sydney or the more laid-back vibe of Brisbane you prefer, look for a university situated in a region that offers you the best mix of lifestyle and standard of living.
While tuition fees shouldn’t vary too much for the same type of course and duration, the kind of financial assistance and scholarships available to you may differ more substantially. Look for an institution that offers scholarships and determine if you are eligible, some scholarships are only awarded to students in certain countries and regions.
International Student Support
Find an institution that offers well-planned support for international students, as they can advise on essentials such as accommodation, student welfare, and post-graduate employment opportunities.
Admission requirements for ELICOS Courses
Students looking to study ELICOS in Australia will have to take a placement assessment test at the beginning of the course to establish and proof their level of English language. The accepted tests typically include:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System test)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- PTE (Pearson Test of English Academic)
- CAE (Academic Cambridge English)
- OET (Occupational English Test)
Depending on your score, you will be allowed to study for a certain type of ELICOS course, for example, the General English course will be mainly for students with an IELTS score of 4.5 or lower while the English For Academic Purposes (EAP) will usually require students to have an IELTS score of 5.0 or above.
Depending on the institution, some colleges will allow students to utilize their General English course certification to continue their English language studies in EAP.
In addition, for the General English course, institutes will usually get students to take a placement test that covers reading, writing and grammar as well as speaking to correctly place them at a level that suits their proficiency.